Frequently Asked Questions
Who started Lady Brain Collective? When and why?
In Dec. 2018, San Diego musician and writer Lindsay White invited a small group of local womxn-identifying creative colleagues over for brunch to chat about navigating business, digital spaces, societal expectations, burnout, and more. There was a consensus that continuing to meet in safe physical spaces and pool resources would be beneficial to everyone, thus Lady Brain Collective was born. To read more about the inception of the collective, read this article!
Where does the name Lady Brain come from?
What is the mission/vision of this collective?
In short, to support, empower, and showcase local womxn-identifying creatives to the San Diego community while also offering assistance and/or resistance for intersecting social justice issues. For more on how we do this, visit this page.
What's the difference between Lady Brain Presents and Lady Brain Collective?
Not much. Lady Brain Collective is what we call our group. Lady Brain Presents is the public iteration of the collective.
Is this group political?
Our primary goal is to help members and showcase their work to our community, but it is impossible to ignore and irresponsible not to address that womxn-identifying artists are made vulnerable by serious, often dangerous, intersecting systemic issues of racial and social injustice. In that sense, our existence is political. We strive to use our creativity, collective power, and platform to raise awareness & funds and offer assistance & resistance to movements fighting for the health, safety, and liberation of all our siblings.
Are men welcome?
While membership is for local womxn-identifying creatives (see more on this in the membership section), this does not mean we are anti-man. We do aim to create safe spaces for womxn-identifying folks, including our trans, non-binary, and gender non-conforming siblings, we welcome and encourage all humans who care about compassion, creativity, and community to partner with us, contribute to our mission, attend our gatherings, and be a part of our family.
What are membership requirements?
Any womxn-identifying creative living in San Diego is welcome to join!
- What do you mean by womxn-identifying? Language is tricky. y'all. When words attempt to classify a broad spectrum of folks, they often come up short, and we acknowledge that. We chose words like womxn and womxn-identifying to remove the term “men" due to existing patriarchal stereotypes that womxn are somehow below, beneath, or a inferior subset of cis-gendered male folks. That said, we welcome and support any members who identify as “women." To be crystal clear, whether or not we use the term “womxn" or “women," this terminology absolutely and emphatically includes trans womxn/women. We are also hopeful that the “x" will serve as a welcome mat for our gender non conforming friends. This group was born out of a desire to support and create opportunities and resources for local creatives who identify as “womxn" or “women," but we welcome ANY non-cis-male local creative who feels marginalized on the basis of their gender. We know not everyone identifies or resonates with the term “womxn-identifying," but we hope our definition does more to include folks than alienate them. We will continue to follow along with the greater conversation around gendering language, and we will continue to fight against all forms of gender bias. We welcome you to be part of that conversation - please feel free to email email@example.com with any thoughts, questions, concerns, resources, etc.
- What do you mean by creatives? I thought this group was just for musicians. We welcome folks pursuing creative paths of any kind.
- Why San Diego? This allows us to do meaningful work with our limited resources. But we acknowledge that borders are whack, especially in colonized lands, especially when used to victimize populations. We will always do our best to respect and honor Kumeyaay land while also contributing compassionately to our neighboring communities and artists!
What are some membership benefits?
- access to shared database
- access to private FB group
- access to private Instagram pod
- access to ongoing workshops
- member profile on website
- free company listing on business directory
- free download of DIY Publicity ebook
- opportunities to showcase/sell your work at community gatherings/festivals
- press opportunities via podcast, reviews, brain candy blog, newsletter, and more
- add your work to Spotify playlist (musicians only)
- a network of supportive artists and friends!
Where can I check out your members?
Does it cost money to become a member?
How do I join the Lady Brain Collective AND ACCESS MEMBER BENEFITS?
I'm a Lady Brain Collective member, but I don't have a member profile yet. How do I make that happen?
I believe in this vision. How can I help keep membership affordable for the collective?
Who is welcome at workshops?
Workshops are typically for members only. Some exceptions apply, such as if a member wanted to bring along a friend who is interested in joining, etc.
Where can I find info for upcoming workshops?
What kinds of topics are covered at workshops?
We try to stick to topics that are relevant to all creative entrepreneurs, such as branding, marketing, publicity, etc. Periodically we offer topics relevant to a specific creative field, such as music licensing. Sometimes our meet-ups can be as simple as a member check-in or a group hike. Other workshops might tackle broader topics, such as community-minded creativity or art and activism.
Where can I find recaps of previous workshops?
I'd like to speak at one of your workshops. Who should I talk to?
Please fill out the form below! We are ALWAYS looking for engaging speakers/presenters!
Where do workshops take place?
Workshops take place at various venues throughout the community (or virtually during shelter-in-place orders). Our community partners believe in our mission and we believe in supporting local businesses, so it's a great relationship! Sometimes members offer their homes as meeting space as well. Please fill out the form below if you know anyone interested in sponsoring meeting space!
What else do I need to know about workshops?
Sometimes our gracious workshop hosts have pets, some are alcohol/420-friendly, etc. While we don't believe in policing members' house rules, we do want everyone to be comfortable and will do our best to communicate with and accommodate everyone to the best of our ability. Please fill out the form below if you have any concerns.
How can I help keep these workshops running?
You can become a Workshop Sponsor, which includes lots of amazing benefits. If you/your company are interested, please contribute here or fill out the below form with other creative partnership proposals!
COMMUNITY GATHERING QUESTIONS
Who is welcome at community gatherings?
Everyone is always welcome to attend (or register to attend if limited capacity) our monthly community gatherings. Age restrictions vary according to venue.
What is the purpose of community gatherings?
- We want people to get off their phones and enjoy human interaction in the real world.
- We want to provide members opportunities to showcase their work.
- We want to provide the community opportunities to show up physically and financially for local artists.
- We want to offer interactive/participatory elements so attendees are inspired to create.
- We want to offer opportunities for artists and attendees to stand in solidarity with people/organizations in need of assistance or resistance.
Where do community gatherings take place?
The majority of community gatherings occur at private residences, venues, galleries, etc. This helps ensure that donations collected at the door can go directly to showcasing artists.
Where do I find out about or register for upcoming community gatherings?
Where can I find recaps of previous community gatherings?
I'd like to perform/showcase or curate at a community gathering. How does that work?
If you are a member who has yet to showcase at a community gathering, you can curate your own! Members take turns curating community gatherings, typically centered around a topic/theme that is relevant to them. They will either invite specific members to showcase, or open up an invitation to perform to all members via email or private FB group. If you are a member interested in curating a showcase, please fill out the form below! If you are a member interested in showcasing, the best way to get involved is to actively participate in digital and physical spaces.
If I'm slated to perform, do I have to promote?
Since we are a young organization and still growing our marketing base and social media following, attendance for each gathering is dependent on the combined promotional efforts of the organization as well as members. Well-attended showcases make for well-paid performances and a better overall experience for everyone. Lady Brain Presents works hard to promote each community gathering and to provide performers with tools they need to help spread the word!
Do you ever book touring artists?
Occasionally, but members are always given priority consideration.
I'd like to host a community gathering at my residence or venue. Who should I talk to?
Please fill out the form below! We are ALWAYS looking for new/unique spaces!
I'm a local vendor and I'd love to partner with you on a community gathering. Who should I talk to?
Please fill out the form below! We are ALWAYS looking for like-minded vendors for cross-collaboration!
How can I help keep community gatherings going?
You can become a Community Gathering Sponsor, which comes with so many great benefits. If you/your company are interested, please contribute here or fill out the form with other creative partnership proposals!
LADY BRAIN FEST QUESTIONS
Is Lady Brain Fest happening in 2020?
Due to Covid-19 health and safety precautions, Lady Brain Film Festival will take place as a virtual event this year.
Can I SHOWCASE MY WORK at Lady Brain FILM Fest 2020?
Submissions are now closed.
How do I apply to be a vendor at Lady Brain Fest 2020?
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, our event will not be live this year, but please drop us an email below if you're interested in partnering.
How can I help with Lady Brain Fest?
You can become a Lady Brain Fest sponsor, which comes with lots of wonderful benefits! If you/your company want to get involved, please contribute here or fill out the form with other creative partnership proposals!
BRAIN CANDY BLOG QUESTIONS
What is the Brain Candy Blog?
We post a monthly blog highlighting events featuring various Lady Brain Collective members. Community members can bookmark the Brain Candy Blog as a resource for awesome local art and music happenings. (This blog series is on pause until live events are back up and running).
How do you decide what gets featured in this blog?
It's part of membership! Each month, we email members asking them to submit one event they'd like to feature in the Brain Candy blog.
How can I help keep the Brain Candy Blog running?
BOSS LADIES REVIEWS QUESTIONS
What are Boss Ladies Reviews?
How do you decide what gets reviewed?
It's part of membership! Members can fill out/submit a review form (This form is found in the Forms section of the private Facebook group). We assign reviews to our volunteer writers.
What do you mean volunteer writers? You don't pay them?
It is our absolute priority to give members every possible opportunity to earn income, but we also stress the importance of members being of service to each other. This is just one of many ways some members choose to do that. We do include a virtual tip jar for each writer on each review - please consider contributing! (And it is a longterm goal to be able to hire a writing team).
How can I help keep Boss Ladies Reviews running?
You can become a Boss Ladies Advertising Partner, which would allow us to pay our wonderful writers, not to mention provide you/your company with some pretty awesome advertising benefits. Click here to learn more!
Where can I listen to past episodes?
Who hosts your podcast?
Can I be a guest on your podcast?
If you are a Lady Brain Collective member, you can absolutely be a guest on our podcast! Fill out the form below, and we'll put you in touch with Cathryn for scheduling!
How can I help keep the podcast running?
Are you a nonprofit organization?
No, though there are similarities. Many members volunteer their time to help organize events, and most of our community gatherings involve raising funds/awareness for health and social justice causes. However, we do not subscribe to the “starving artist" mentality that keeps creatives perpetually “suffering" for their art. Instead, we'd rather work toward changing the culture around how a community shows up for artists.
So, are you trying to make a profit?
We are primarily trying to help our members make a living for the work they do and compensate them for the value they add to our community. But don't get us wrong, it would be awesome to secure enough funding to help our organizers make a legitimate career out of this work. For now, all community gathering funds go directly to artists and the various social justice platforms they choose to support. Other funds collected (memberships, sponsorships, merch sales, etc.) help keep the organization running. We'll reassess the whole making a profit thing once we start breaking even.
I BELIEVE IN THIS PROJECT AND WANT TO CONTRIBUTE. HOW CAN I HELP?
The number one way to contribute is to show up for our members physically and/or financially. Please consider becoming a regular at our community gatherings or joining as a individual/corporate sponsor. Please fill out the form below if you have ideas or connections that will help Lady Brain Collective thrive.
I'm planning an event and I would love to book local womxn-identifying artists. Can you help?
We'd love to put you in touch with our members! Please fill out the form below and include details like:
- date and location
- timing overall and specific requested services)
- artist expectations/requirements (what service are they providing, what is the format of the event, do they need to bring their own gear, etc.)
- compensation policy (it is very rare that members will work for exposure alone)
- how your event will be marketed (any press opportunities, etc.)
What else can I hire members to do?
So many of our members have day jobs and side hustles to keep them afloat financially. Check out our Lady Brain for Hire Directory for a list of their many skills, and don't hesitate to reach out if you find yourself in need of their services. We'll put you in touch!
What other projects are you working on?
Our wheels are always turning! The beauty of our diverse group mean no two events are ever the same. We are always looking to showcase something new and different to highlight the many creative talents of our members!
Support Lady Brain Collective
It takes time & money to keep the Lady Brain train chugging along.
Any contributions or sponsorships are welcome and appreciated!
Any contributions or sponsorships are welcome and appreciated!